Monday, June 8, 2009

How to retire & live your dream life NOW!



I’ve received some emails from readers who think that I’m retired and do nothing but spend time with my dog all day. Well, part of that is true, but I’d like to clarify now that I DO WORK! True, I lead a fairly leisurely life and am fortunate to be able to work from home. However, I am not at that point where I don’t have to work, at least, not yet!

My active income comes from my pilates classes and freelance writing. My passive income comes from my books and websites. Right now, my passive income is not more than my expenses, so I can’t retire and do nothing yet. I am currently in the midst of setting up two new websites that will add to my passive income portfolio (my goal: 5-figures on auto-pilot every month by next year!).

If retirement means relaxing and doing whatever your heart desires, then ok, I am officially retired! Anyway, retirement is not my goal. I enjoy my work too much to stop, and I think it is imperative that everyone follows their passion so that work doesn’t feel like “work”. I’m happiest when I am starting new projects so I don’t think that will ever stop - best part about an Internet business is that it costs almost nothing to set up (I’ll probably be 80 and still launching websites – Tantric sex for geriatrics anyone?).

Eventually, it all boils down to the individual – the reason I have been able to have a stress-free life and pursue whatever my heart desires is because I have simple needs – I don’t like to shop, don’t drive (I don’t even have a license, besides, my husband is my chauffer!) and don’t have any debts. My only indulgence is food, holidays and my dog. At present point, I already have everything that I need in life (a roof over my head and a growing nest egg via my investments).

Like they say, the richest person is the one who needs the least. Chew on that for a bit.

No comments: